Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Avery's [Toilet Paper Roll] Nativity

One morning in early November Avery was eating her breakfast while she colored. When I looked closer at what she was coloring on, I saw that it was an empty toilet paper roll. "What are you drawing?" I asked her, because it looked like it had a tiny little face. "It's a wise man." She replied nonchalantly. Oh. Of course. A wise man. "Like from the Nativity?" I quickly clarified. She nodded, and proceeded to put a little toilet paper hat on him with a rubber band. 

The next week she found another empty toilet paper roll in the bathroom. "Look Mom! Another wise man!" Another face, another toilet paper hat, and then there were two. By Thanksgiving we had all three.

By this point my parents were collecting toilet paper rolls for Avery. One day my dad text me to tell me he had found baby Jesus...an empty athletic tape roll he'd used up at basketball practice. My mom brought over all the empty rolls they'd collected, and Avery went to work. She replaced the toilet paper hats with scraps of fabric, I took her to the craft store to pick out the angel wings (pipe cleaners), and she glued cotton balls on the sheep. She even had me cut one toilet paper roll in half so she could create baby Jesus' manger. Three wise men, Mary, Joseph, a shepherd, an angel, baby Jesus, and two sheep...and suddenly she was finished.

So here it is, easily the most adorable Nativity you will ever see. Ever.

DSC_0847DSC_0849DSC_0851DSC_0850

8 comments:

yours truly, melissa said...

SO CREATIVE!

Laura June said...

Too cute!

Rikki Rivera said...

Love this!

Laynah said...

Wait..she just thought of this all on her own? That girl is too smart! The nativity really is adorable.

My-cliffnotes said...

So cute

Terri said...

Gosh how I love this little girl and her creative mind. She just blesses my socks off!

Hollie Nickolls said...

I just love her!! This is way too cute.

Sara Louise said...

Oh my heavens! This is so cute I can't stand it!!! Way to go Avery! :)