Thursday, December 19, 2013

This and That

We had our first snow of the season at the beginning of December, just a little bit, but it was beautiful. Then it immediately dropped to about 16 degrees for a few days, and then it snowed again. Since then it's warmed up to the upper 30's, but I've taken to wearing two pairs of pants to keep warm. Last night the roads iced over, and Avery's school has two-hour-late-start this morning. I sure love the snow, but the ice can stay away.

DSC_0770DSC_0786

This was the sunrise on the way to the Jingle Bell 5K, and these pictures don't even come close to how glorious it really was. It looked the the sky was on fire. So incredible.

DSC_0798DSC_0800

Erik's mom gave me the most beautiful afghans, made by Erik's great-grandmother. They are even more lovely up close, and certainly put my crochet skills to shame. I feel very lucky to have been entrusted with such wonderful heirlooms, and even more lucky to have such amazing in-laws.

DSC_0876DSC_0870

Avery got another award at school, and she was so thrilled. It's been a hard month for this girl, with the long days at school finally catching up to her. She's such an awesome little student, she's reading and writing, and she's always happy at school. But she's been having a lot of separation anxiety in the mornings. Just sad to be gone all day, everyday, from what we've gathered. It's heart wrenching to watch her go to school in tears (although she went without crying yesterday, so hopefully we've turned a corner).  

DSC_0761

I've been obsessively listening to The Civil Wars' new self titled album. The Civil Wars are my favorite. I've been listening to From This Valley on repeat (the video is below), and I also love Eavesdrop and Sacred Heart (which was recorded in an apartment in Paris and sung entirely in French). SO. BEAUTIFUL.

thecivilwars-1375124398-1375306352 civil_532x550_1463327a

Last night Erik asked me for my Christmas list (clearly he doesn't like to shop ahead of time). This is what I came up with, but he'll probably buy something else. I always love what he gets me, so I'm not too worried about it. I like him too much to worry about whether he gets me a good Christmas present. But, here's my list just the same.

  christmas list
Vest/Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre on Blu-ray/Mixer/Vintage Turquoise Bracelet/iPad Mini/Rain Boots

Avery has two more days of school, and then the Christmas festivities will commence! On the agenda: A visit to Santa, making a gingerbread house, a nighttime Christmas light tour of the neighborhood, watching every Christmas movie we own, going to Frozen, and maybe even getting Avery's ears pierced. Let the countdown to winter break begin!

8 comments:

Amber said...

Oh man, where to start? That sunrise is amazing, and that blanket gorgeous. Also, I agree--I don't mind the snow, but ice (and wind and subzero temps) can stay away. Happy holidays!

Rikki Rivera said...

Awe, this is great! I'm still anxiously awaiting snow in our neck of the woods, definitely wearing those layers though! That first afghan is just gorgeous, what an amazing heirloom! Honestly, it is so sweet that Avery misses you guys so much, someday we'll wish they wanted us more. Cherish it now all you can! Also, that's a great wish list! I did the same thing for my husband, but unlikely he'll buy anything from it - we'll love those last minute gifts either way though ;). haha

Anne said...

We had some sleet today but it didn't last long! The crochet is truly amazing:) I hope Avery gets over her separation anxiety soon,probably just a little phase!Have a wonderful Christmas:)
~Anne xx

Desiree Macke said...

The first snow is always so pretty -- and then it turns brown. :(
LOVE, LOVE the afghans! My grandma made each of her grandkids afghans before she passed and it's one of my most prized possessions.

My-cliffnotes said...

And TM/SS time!

Crystle Ardoin said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get your Mixer, they're the best!

Sara Louise said...

That afghan is beautiful and looks perfect on the couch :)

Rod and Alex - aka: "Rolex" said...

Man, you are a busy mom! What a wonderful little family! A 5K? How do you fit it all in?

Ooooh! Snow is so nice at Christmas time! We don't get a lot down here in Sacramento, but we make a point to go visit the snow every year! :)