Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter (and a Lawn Mower Accident)

Today we celebrated Easter at home. Last week Erik had a little run-in with a lawn mower...he chopped off the end of his big toe when he tripped and fell while mowing the lawn. The mower blade ate through his shoe, his sock, and proceeded to chip and fracture the bone. The doctors are calling it an open fracture...the wound above the break can not be closed so Erik has to keep it bandaged and elevated until it's healed over. It's likely he'll be off work for at least a month, maybe two. This morning he tried to get up so we could perhaps go to church. After about 20 minutes he had to put his foot back up because it was too painful for him to have it down.

DSC_0598

I had this lengthy list of projects that Erik and I were going to accomplish before Avery's birthday in June. The best laid plans, or something like that, right? Yesterday I went out and replanted some daylilies, did Erik's annual blueberry bush feeding, weeded the flower beds, planted strawberries, and transferred dirt around our fruit trees. Tomorrow after work I need to mow (yikes!) and get the garden soil ready for planting. Most of these things we enjoy working on together, and it's easy to see how much better we are as a team. As for Erik, let's just say he's not one to sit around. In fact doing nothing is basically just a form of torture. He wouldn't even care about the pain as long as he was able to do something, build something, plant something...heck, he'd probably give anything to go out and mow the lawn again. 

Well anyway, back to today. It's Easter and I can't help but feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the blessings I've been given. Like my wonderful, loving husband (who's accident could have been so much worse, but luckily it wasn't). And for our sweet, beautiful little girl who never ceases to amaze us. Watching her grow has been the greatest joy of our lives. Blessings so vast, so endless that there would be no way to write them all here. Instead I'll post a couple of Easter photos so I'll always remember how happy Avery was dying eggs with her dad. And how we listened to the Frozen soundtrack on repeat all day while Avery dramatically and passionately sang along.

20140419_211353b DSC_0627b

Like I said, endless blessings.

10 comments:

Bridget said...

oh my gosh, I'm so glad he's ok! That sounds awful!! Happy Easter to you & your family!

kate @ be merry, kate said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Eric! Praying for quick healing!

Happy Easter!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

Ouch! I hope Eric heals quickly

tinajo said...

Oh, OUCH! I hope he is well after the circumstances!

http://tinajoathome.com/

Laura June said...

Yikes! Glad Erik's ok and I hope he finds ways to not lose his mind!

Nicole said...

OUCH. I hope you feel better. I bumped someone recently while driving and my mom injured her foot but nothing broken. Defiantly keep it evaluated. I almost lost 3 of my fingers and ankle about 8 months ago but that's another story. I'm glad you had a good Easter. Stay safe.

Hollie Nickolls said...

Poor Erik!! I'm glad the accident wasn't too serious though. Geesh. Lawn mowers have always scared me!

I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Skyline Spirit said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

Rod and Alex - aka: "Rolex" said...

Ouch!!! Our neighbor did the same thing a few years ago! :(

Happy Easter to you and your adorable fam!

Sara Louise said...

Oh my heavens, poor Erik! What a horrible accident! I hope that he's healing well xo