Thursday, April 17, 2014

Spring Break: Ocean Shores, Olympia, Tacoma (and a Baby Shower)

Last week was spring break. Erik ended up getting the week off so we quickly made plans to head to the beach for a couple of days. We decided to stay in Ocean Shores because it had been a long time since either of us had been there. (The last time we were in Ocean Shores was in middle school. Remember this post about a necklace that Erik bought for me when he was in 6th grade? That happened in Ocean Shores.) It hasn't changed much since the early 90's...in fact, it hasn't changed AT ALL. What a sleepy little coastal town it is, but the beach was beautiful and the sun even came out for our little seaside get-a-way. (Also, Erik found a necklace in one of the gift shops just like the one he bought for me back in middle school and proudly pointed it out with a wink.)

DSC_0128DSC_0139DSC_0147
DSC_0164DSC_0166
DSC_0121DSC_0175

From Ocean Shores we headed east to Tacoma to stay with my brother and his family. My sister-in-law's baby shower was on Saturday, so we decided to stay with them for a few days since I was planning on going up there anyway and Erik had the week off. On our way out of Ocean Shores Erik asked if I wanted to stop in Olympia to show Avery the capitol. Erik's great-grandpa helped build the capitol back in the 1920's, and it was nice to show Avery a little piece of family (and Washington State) history. It was warm and sunny, the tulips and cherry blossoms were blooming, and the capitol was quiet. The perfect spring day for exploring with my favorite people.

DSC_0191DSC_0193DSC_0195DSC_0202 DSC_0204DSC_0207
DSC_0230DSC_0234DSC_0237
DSC_0244DSC_0243 DSC_0269
DSC_0250DSC_0260DSC_0271 DSC_0273
DSC_0283 DSC_0302
DSC_0297DSC_0300

We spent the rest of our Spring-Break-Tour-of-Western-Washington in Tacoma, hanging out with my brother [Kody], his wife [Emily], and our sweet little girls. We played tourists in downtown Tacoma and stopped by the glass bridge, then my mom and sister joined us and Kody and Erik made naan and kabobs on the grill for dinner. There was also a cheating incident during a rousing game of Uno Attack, but we won't get into that (I won despite Erik and Kody's desperate attempts to fix the scoring). There was also a cheating incident during Bezzerwizzer. Basically my brother is a giant cheater. 

DSC_0330DSC_0338
DSC_0346
DSC_0389 DSC_0388DSC_0358
DSC_0305
DSC_0307DSC_0588DSC_0324

(Just a blue-eyed girl, waiting patiently for dinner.)

The week ended with a beautiful baby shower brunch for Emily and baby girl #2. (Can I just say that I love it when people have babies who aren't me.)

DSC_0639DSC_0643DSC_0657DSC_0659DSC_0663

Needless to say it was a pretty great week.

9 comments:

Bridget said...

You take the most beautiful pictures!!

Anna said...

I'm so glad you had such a great spring break with your family. It was a perfect week weather wise. Love you all.

Laura June said...

Sounds like a great getaway week! I cannot wait to see the Pacific again, so I live vicariously through your photos. Keep em coming!

Rikki Rivera said...

Looks like a great time!

yours truly, melissa said...

Sounds and looks like such a wonderful week.

I'd love to visit the Pacific NW and their beaches... so different than all all the beaches I've been to.

tinajo said...

Looks like a great, great time - I´m glad for you! :-)

http://tinajoathome.com/

My-cliffnotes said...

I love the quilt!!

Rod and Alex - aka: "Rolex" said...

Wow! What a wonderful week! Lots of fun! Love your photos! :)

Sara Louise said...

I love that you guys can go to a place where so many memories were made years and years ago :)