Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

Mother's Day feels just a little bit sweeter after the birth of our niece, Rylee, yesterday. I was honored to be there for her arrival (I mean I was actually there, in the room, when she entered the world). I have no words for what that experience was like...it was equal parts terrifying and completely amazing. I stood in the corner of the room with tears streaming down my cheeks as my brother and his wife welcomed this incredible little creature into their lives, and it was literally the most beautiful thing I have ever witnessed. Every time I think about it my eyes well up with tears all over again. It was just the greatest experience...I have no words.

DSC_0919DSC_0929

(Gah! Just look at her. Three hours old. Could she be any cuter?!)

My own sweet girl has been surprising me with cards and gifts all week in preparation for Mother's Day. At school Avery made me a candle holder out of tissue paper and a mason jar, and then she wrote me the sweetest letter. She and Erik also surprised me with a hanging fuschia and an electric kettle that I'd been wanting for while now.

DSC_0957
DSC_0963 DSC_0985 - Copy

You are as pretty as a rose. Thank you for planting with me and reading to me. Is this kid for real?! My heart is so full that it just might burst. Maybe the tea kettle pushed me over the edge, or maybe it was baby Rylee. Either way I'm a weepy, unbelievably happy mess today. I just feel so darn blessed.

6 comments:

yours truly, melissa said...

How sweet that you got to witness your niece coming into the world! What a precious experience :)

So glad you had a wonderful mother's day!!!

Rikki Rivera said...

How incredibly sweet :). Happy Mother's Day to you!

Anne said...

How cute is your new niece:)I also love your Mother's day gifts!
~Anne xx

Anna said...

Now you have me misting.

Hollie Nickolls said...

this made me warm and fuzzy inside. am I crazy, or does she somewhat resemble a baby Avery?

Kelleyn Rothaermel said...

She was a gorgeous baby!